Monday, August 12, 2013

Cestrum 'Orange Peel'

Mine came from Tony Avent's 'Plant Delights' near Raleigh NC.
I first saw this in Judy Thomas's garden in Rocky Point NC.
Judy thought it better than Buddleia, I think I agree, though only one color
Looks a bit yellow in these photos but really is orange

Mine is planted facing south in full sun
As you may know, I do not water plants after they are established and this shrub seems unfazed by fluctuating rainfall.

Dies back in winter like Buddleia but never stops blooming
spring to frost. This year I cut back a couple of stems to control size
 but dead heading seems unnecessary.
 Supposedly fragrant at night. I'll have to check that out as soon as it cools off
This is next to Salvia 'Indigo Spires' for that blue yellow (orange) combination.
The Japanese Maple 'Fireglow' behind is only visible in the spring
Cestrum is a big plant so leaves a big hole in the winter/ early spring

No comments:

Post a Comment