Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Coppicing Crape Myrtles

The ancient art of coppicing,  http://www.coppice.co.uk
 that is cutting trees off near their base in late winter to encourage shoots to grow from the main trunk, can be used in many ways.
In England Willow trees are treated this way to provide new flexible stems for fences, baskets & other woven products. Hazel is used to make living fences, the new shoots are bent over and intertwined to create a dense hedge that keeps animals in and crops protected.

When I go 'home' I am always jealous of the availability of hazel twigs for natural stakes in the garden so several years ago I planted a few crape myrtles close together in a row.
Each February I cut these off about 4 inches from the ground. The result is very straight stems grow up and the planting forms a little hedge. The next February I harvest my lovely straight garden stakes, height depends on how good the growing season was. The stakes are good for at least one year.

an added benefit is this autumn colour display from Lagerstroemia (indica x fauriei) 'Sioux" 

No comments:

Post a Comment