Monday, December 8, 2014

Carrots

Made a quick run out to the garden today breezy & cold out there. We have had some rain though so decided to pull some carrots. The foliage is great looking and a few interplanted lettuce are still OK.

I am obviously not the world's greatest carrot grower but I was excited to get veg for dinner. The variation in size is interesting, could it be I didn't thin properly? Of course but they are still sweet & local. I saw Bill Lord on 'Almanac Gardener' say you could harvest them through the winter by just leaving them in the ground just my kind of no work solution. The pale ones are supposed to be woody and bitter but these are fine. Growing in a raised bed with very loose soil created over the last 12 years they are quite nicely shaped though not uniform...thank goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment