Monday, July 14, 2014

Lavender & Driveway Work

In reading about pruning I have learnt that summer pruning is for reduced vigor. So I determined to prune some over enthusiastic shrubs & trees & grasses that invaded the driveway. Results are rather neat & hopefully will succeed in slowing some things down. 

I am renovating the largest lavender by cutting it back to the ground if there is   new growth down there. Others I have just created holes to allow air & light to reach in and hopefully start new growth. I have found it important to harvest the flower stalks and cut holes in the plants to allow air flow especially when we get 4 inches of rain in one day, as recently. Lavender starts to rot quickly so mulch with gravel or stones. I wonder if all those old stalks at the bottom help by keeping the rest of the plant above the ground. So many people want to grow lavender here in our not so suitable humid climate I feel lucky to have been able to keep mine alive for many years.
(Lavendula x 'Provence')



Over the years the lavender layers itself rooting into the gravelly soil this helps to keep it young and viable.




There is a new lavender cultivar (developed for the south)
my friends are trying this year. Let's hope they have 'phenomenal' luck.
(see the link below)

No comments:

Post a Comment