Friday, September 26, 2014

Thomas Jefferson's in my Garden

Last week we were at Monticello. http://www.monticello.org/site/visit
We have not visited there for 30 years, my how it has changed!
We took the garden tour & it turns out TJ & I have some of the same plants in our gardens.  I think I actually got my Blackberry Lily seeds from Monticello many years ago. (The shop,  I didn't pinch them.)

Above, in my garden, Zinnia pauicflora (small flowered zinnia)  this seed I got from Select Seeds it is called Red Spider. It has fallen over & sprawled over a large area. My friend Pam & I saw this annual at Montrose years ago in a fall garden it was spectacular.
At left Belamcanda chinensis the 
Blackberry Lily the seed pods are opening to display the origin of it's common name.
TJ also grew the scarlet runner beans from a previous post.


I bought a packet of Purple Calabash tomato seeds as that was still producing fruit & the gardener told us it always won the tasting tests.
We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment