Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Nettle-leaved Mullein

I grew these two plants from seed this year not expecting them to bloom but here they are
Verbascum chaxii 'Album' meaning  white & the yellow, we'll just that.

 I thought I ordered the white but this one is yellow & just starting to bloom. I have had the so called 'Southern Charm' variety in the garden for 13 years & it's still going. Popping up each year.

 Since the circle has so much competition it really doesn't have many stalks at once. The summer heat wilts the flowers in the middle of the day but in the morning they seem fresh again. Spring & fall are probably it's best times & if you actually watered your garden during dry periods it would no doubt do better, My ornamental plants have to survive without supplemental water.



Deep rooted they are survivors not to be voted off the island. 




I once saw  these for sale at Plant & See Nursery but as with my own nursery experience they didn't seem to sell.
You can get seed from seed swapping/saving sources.

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=a432

No comments:

Post a Comment