Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Anemones & Christmas Tree

In the fall I found a seedling red Cedar tree (Juniperus virginiana). For years I have cut branches of one of these, that is growing into the Black Gum tree on the property line, for our Christmas tree.
I have concluded that I will run out of cedar branches in the next couple of years so potted this seedling for future Christmas decorations. Yes, I could buy a tree but since moving to North Carolina 20 years ago I have embraced the idea of these somewhat prickly country Christmas trees.
The squirrels, of which I have many, regularly dig into my pots. My solution was to cover the bare earth in the pot with pine cones. Then I went to Terra Ceia & found some irresistible Anemone coronaria bulbs. So, I pushed those into the soil around the future Christmas tree. I read these are not too good in containers, but never to be put off by someone else's opinion, I planted them anyway.
Here is the result


No comments:

Post a Comment