Monday, April 28, 2014

Wild Butterfly Rose

Rosa chinensis 'Mutabilis' is an old China Rose parent to some of the modern hybrid teas
but delightfully free of some of their problems. I am unwilling to deadhead, fertilize, water or spray but I still have roses. 
 The single flowered mutabilis rose blooms buff yellow changes (mutabilis is latin for changeable) to apricot to dark pink before finishing. You can have 3 flower colors at once.





I planted this one in the center of 3 Vitex shrubs. It has grown much taller than normal to reach the light seen here before the Vitex leafs out it is quite spectacular. My neighbors ask what kind of bush this is and do not quite believe me when I tell them it is a rose. The Vitex supports the long, light seeking branches. The whole thing has to be pruned to make it conform to driveway & mowing





Things I like about this rose. 
New foliage is dark reddish . Airy growth pattern , if not made to climb. Repeat blooming. Single flowers leading to it's common name. Fragrant

No comments:

Post a Comment