Saturday, July 23, 2016

Downy/Hoary Skullcap

Wether you call those hairs on the stem, hoary (old fashioned word for grey or white hair)
 or downy (a more charming version) this native skullcap is a great July bloomer in my garden.
2014 North Carolina Wildflower of the Year
I got my start from the Botanical Garden in Chapel Hill & have propagated it by seed.
Planted in 3 different places in my garden & two in the Pitt County Arboretum Wildflower Garden
This plant seems to be very adaptable. Shade to full sun it has bloomed well. 
Mine are about 2ft tall after 2 years but said to get to 3ft.
 I did pinch back a couple of stems & they have yet to bloom but will soon.
Well drained soil in both places but some say it will enjoy nice loamy soil too.

The difference in bloom color here maybe just light at photo time.
I do not water ornamental plants in either garden after they are established, so these are viewed as drought tolerant. I  notice many bees visiting these & another low growing skullcap in my garden. See one in the bottom photo obviously a good pollinator plant, perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment