Sunday, July 17, 2016

Rudbeckia laciniata 'Herbstsonne'

Originally a gift from a friend many years ago, this super summer bloomer embraces our July heat & humidity. Increasing it's clump each year so much so that I can usually dig some divisions for the
 Pitt County Arboretum plant sale each year.
It is the much better behaved offspring of the native Green-headed coneflower
 (Rudbeckia laciniata)which spreads rapidly by underground stems & would be better in a field rather than a garden. Since this variety has a German name (herbstsonne) meaning autumn sun it can only be concluded that those Tuetonic plant breeders whipped that rambling native into garden shape. leaving us to enjoy it's clumping nature.
Six feet tall in my garden I, unusually for me, dead-head it a little bit to keep the blooms coming.


Pollinators are quite as impressed as I am with the flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment